batik

Dancing Boxes …. finished

I designed the Dancing Boxes quilt as a birthday present for a family member… now I gave it away and can finally show the finished quilt. At the end it turned out 50″x 73″ (127 x 185 cm)… a lovely size to put it on the sofa and use it for the daily nap.

Dancing Boxes Quilt - front

Dancing Boxes Quilt – front

Dancing Boxes quilt

Dancing Boxes quilt

I chose a blue fabric for the back and an orange peel pattern for the quilting – I like the result and the quilting pattern was easy to sew on my domestic machine: just diagonal wavy lines with my walking foot which built this pattern at the end. I made a cardboard template to mark the lines.

Because I made this quilt as a birthday gift I created a special label: I used crayons to colour my drawing and my iron to fix the colours… I tried it before with a white fabric piece and put it in the washing machine at 40°C with best results. I got the idea to use crayons from this book… but I didn’t use a drawing from the book, I made my own.

My selfmade quiltlabel for this birthdayquilt.

My selfmade quiltlabel for this birthdayquilt.

While I was at the birthday party in Berlin I got a parcel from Esther@ipatchandquilt…. She sent a lot of lovely sraps to me to enlarge my stash – thank you Esther for your generosity!!!!

So I’m going to continue the work on my daughter’s quilt. In Juni F2F block swap will start and in June I have to sew three 12,5″ blocks for Esther…

DEUTSCH –> (more…)

Finished Pillow Case

I started to make a small rug for our side table beside our reading chair… but at the end it turned into a pillow case!

But seriously… I discovered a very interesting pattern in a video tutorial of the MSQC – they used it there for a baby quilt and I wanted to try it within a small project. It’s autumn now an I’m crazy about colours… so I took the last pieces of a batik charm pack to work with. After I did the first step and sewed the first two strippy squares together to cut it into 4 parts like shown in the tutorial I couldn’t stop and had to make some more… but what to do with it now where it was too big for a small rug?

middle part

middle part

Around the multicoloured center I sewed black stripes for the contrast. Out of all the remaining  batik scraps I cut triangles and sewed them into one long strip.

triangle strip

I used this strip to sew it as a border around the centre and for the back side to make a zipper cover out of it. I connected the top with batting and lining… ready to quilt!

ready to quilt

I decided to take orange yarn for the quilting – because orange is my favourite autumn-colour and a good contrast on the black fabric. On the lining side you can see the simple quilting I did.

Lining shows the quilt pattern.

Lining shows the quilt pattern.

On the back side I added a covered zipper. I choose a binding out of the black fabric… I sewed it on the front side with my machine, the blind stich on the back side was handstiched. And voilà…

The size is now 16 inch – it fits perfectly for a 15 3/4 ” pillow and it is a wonderful decoration of our reading chair now.

READY!

READY!

DEUTSCH –> (more…)