I started to make a small rug for our side table beside our reading chair… but at the end it turned into a pillow case!
But seriously… I discovered a very interesting pattern in a video tutorial of the MSQC – they used it there for a baby quilt and I wanted to try it within a small project. It’s autumn now an I’m crazy about colours… so I took the last pieces of a batik charm pack to work with. After I did the first step and sewed the first two strippy squares together to cut it into 4 parts like shown in the tutorial I couldn’t stop and had to make some more… but what to do with it now where it was too big for a small rug?
Around the multicoloured center I sewed black stripes for the contrast. Out of all the remaining batik scraps I cut triangles and sewed them into one long strip.
I used this strip to sew it as a border around the centre and for the back side to make a zipper cover out of it. I connected the top with batting and lining… ready to quilt!
I decided to take orange yarn for the quilting – because orange is my favourite autumn-colour and a good contrast on the black fabric. On the lining side you can see the simple quilting I did.
On the back side I added a covered zipper. I choose a binding out of the black fabric… I sewed it on the front side with my machine, the blind stich on the back side was handstiched. And voilà…
The size is now 16 inch – it fits perfectly for a 15 3/4 ” pillow and it is a wonderful decoration of our reading chair now.
DEUTSCH –> (more…)