Kissenhülle

A Friday Finish!

Today I finished a cushion cover I made as a gift for a friend’s 40th birthday we will going to celebrate tomorrow. For the orange peel shapes I used the template I made for my last quilt which had an orange peel quilt pattern… I cut it just a bit taller for the cushion cover. The technique I used for it I tried first with tiny pieces for my Dear Jane quilt – and in such a small size it didn’t work well. But here – the cushion cover is appr. 20″x20″ – it worked very well. A detailed description for that technique is shown in a MSQC-tutorial you can find here.

But here you can see progress & finish of my cushion cover.

sewing orange peel shaped thin interfacing  with the sticky part inside onto my fabrics... and cut out after sewing together

sewing orange peel shaped thin interfacing with the sticky part inside onto my fabrics… and cut out after sewing together

cut a small slit into the interfacing and then turn the inside out

cut a small slit into the interfacing and then turn the inside out

after turning inside out it is looking like this from the front

after turning inside out it is looking like this from the front

after turning the inside out you can see the sticky side of the interfacing on the surface now

after turning the inside out you can see the sticky side of the interfacing on the surface now

placed the orange peel shapes on the front... iron carefully to fix it before applique with a small blanket stich

placed the orange peel shapes on the front… iron carefully to fix it before applique with a small blanket stich

I had my orange peel machine appliqued with a small blanket stitch.

I had my orange peel machine appliqued with a small blanket stitch.

the basted front ready for quilting

the basted front ready for quilting

quilted the front with my walking foot

quilted the front with my walking foot

I used my serger to sew front and back together.

I used my serger to sew front and back together.

the back side

the back side

Finished!

Finished!

DEUTSCH –> (more…)

Finished Pillow Case

I started to make a small rug for our side table beside our reading chair… but at the end it turned into a pillow case!

But seriously… I discovered a very interesting pattern in a video tutorial of the MSQC – they used it there for a baby quilt and I wanted to try it within a small project. It’s autumn now an I’m crazy about colours… so I took the last pieces of a batik charm pack to work with. After I did the first step and sewed the first two strippy squares together to cut it into 4 parts like shown in the tutorial I couldn’t stop and had to make some more… but what to do with it now where it was too big for a small rug?

middle part

middle part

Around the multicoloured center I sewed black stripes for the contrast. Out of all the remaining  batik scraps I cut triangles and sewed them into one long strip.

triangle strip

I used this strip to sew it as a border around the centre and for the back side to make a zipper cover out of it. I connected the top with batting and lining… ready to quilt!

ready to quilt

I decided to take orange yarn for the quilting – because orange is my favourite autumn-colour and a good contrast on the black fabric. On the lining side you can see the simple quilting I did.

Lining shows the quilt pattern.

Lining shows the quilt pattern.

On the back side I added a covered zipper. I choose a binding out of the black fabric… I sewed it on the front side with my machine, the blind stich on the back side was handstiched. And voilà…

The size is now 16 inch – it fits perfectly for a 15 3/4 ” pillow and it is a wonderful decoration of our reading chair now.

READY!

READY!

DEUTSCH –> (more…)